Alinta Energy potential scam warning to customers
Alinta Energy has become aware of a potential scam directed at customers where agents claiming to be calling from Alinta Energy and its "retention department” are calling to offer further discounts on customers energy plans if they set up Direct Debit
arrangements and provide financial information, including credit card or bank account (Direct Debit) details over the phone.
To assist you in making sure you are protected, we want you to feel safe in knowing the facts when it comes to sharing your personal and banking information with Alinta Energy.
- You should not trust a caller claiming to be from Alinta Energy offering you a discounted energy plan as part of a special Christmas or New Year sale and a further discount if you set up Direct Debit. Alinta Energy does not currently market additional seasonal discounts or additional Direct Debit discounts with its products.
- You should not trust any phone call that does not display caller ID. Calls made by or on behalf of Alinta Energy will always display the caller’s phone number.
- You can securely pay your bill by phone using our automated bill payment system which can be accessed by calling 13 13 58 and selecting option 3.
- You should only update your account information using My Account or with an authorised Alinta Energy Customer Care representative whereby you have initiated the call and the phone number you dialled came from a trusted source, such as our website, your bill or our marketing materials.
- Only authorised energy retailers and their affiliated sales channels will be able to verify your address using your MIRN (Meter Installation Registration Number); and only authorised energy retailers and their affiliated sales channels can match your address with your MIRN.
What should you do if you think you have been targeted?
If you have provided a third party with your credit card or bank account details over the phone as part of this or any other suspected Alinta Energy scam please contact your bank or financial institution immediately and notify us by calling 13 13 58
If you do receive a call that you think may have been a scam, please lodge it with the Federal Government's Scam Watch website at http://www.scamwatch.gov.au
or call the ScamWatch ACCC Info Centre on 1300 795 995
Please contact your local police if you believe you may be the victim of fraud.