Queensland pensioners and seniors may be eligible for:
- The Electricity Rebate - $340.85 per year.
- The Electricity Life Support Concession (ELSC) - If you have been provided with an oxygen concentrator by MASS or a kidney dialysis machine by Queensland Health, you may be eligible for a concessional payment of up to $32.39 per month ($97.16 per quarter) for each oxygen concentrator, or $21.69 per month ($65.07 per quarter) for each kidney dialysis machine you use. If you have one of these machines but Queensland Health did not supply it, you are not eligible to receive the electricity life support concession.
- Medical Cooling and Heating Electricity Concession (MCHEC) - helps with electricity costs for people who have a chronic medical condition, such as multiple sclerosis, autonomic system dysfunction, significant burns or a severe inflammatory skin condition, which is aggravated by changes in temperature. It currently provides $340.85 per year to eligible applicants (eligibility is reviewed every two years).
- Home Energy Emergency Assistance (HEEA) - for Queensland households experiencing problems paying their electricity or reticulated natural gas bills as a result of an unforeseen emergency or a short-term financial crisis. HEEA is one-off emergency assistance to help with paying your home energy bills pays up to $720 once every 2 years.
All rebates include GST. Rebates for eligible card holders may appear as GST exclusive on bills.
Eligibility Rebates are available to people with any of the following:
- Queensland Seniors Card
- Pensioner Concession Card
- Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card (and receive the War Widow/er Pension or special rate TPI Pension)
- Centrelink Health Care Card (Electricity Rebate only)
- Asylum seeker status (residents will need to provide their ImmiCard details) (Electricity Rebate only)
For eligibility requirements relating to ELSC, MCHEC or HEEA go to:
To apply for the rebate:
If you have any changes in details or circumstances, especially your address, bank account details* or eligibility for the scheme, you must immediately notify:
Smart Service Queensland
PO Box 10817 Adelaide Street, Brisbane Qld 4000
* For security reasons, you should send changes to your bank account details in writing.
You do not need to notify anyone if you change your electricity retailer.