Concessions & Rebates

You may be eligible to receive an energy concession or rebate towards your bill.

The Government of South Australia’s Department of Human Services provides a range of concessions, including up to $231.41 per year towards household energy accounts.

You may be eligible for a concession on your energy if:

  • you are a pensioner and hold a Pension Concession Card or a Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card (TPI, EDA, War Widow, or issued to a person with 80 or more overall impairment points under the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004 (Cth));
  • you hold a Centrelink Health Care Card (including a low income health care card);
  • you hold a Commonwealth Seniors Health Care Card; or
  • you receive an eligible Centrelink allowance.

In addition, the address for which you are claiming the concession must be your principal place of residence.

However, you may not be eligible if you live with anyone who has an income of more than $3,000 per year, unless they are a spouse, domestic partner or dependant, or they receive an allowance from Centrelink or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs.

Are you eligible for a medical heating and cooling concession?

On 1 July 2018, the State Government introduced a new medical heating and cooling concession of $231.41 per annum. This concession is available to eligible applicants in addition to the current energy concession of $231.41 per annum. It’s for people who have a medical condition that causes them to suffer from heat intolerance or an inability to self-regulate their body temperature, including Multiple Sclerosis or Parkinson’s disease.

Eligibility criteria are the same as for the current energy concession, as shown above. However, applicants must also provide certification from their registered health professional that their medical condition requires medical heating and cooling. The medical heating and cooling concession is available only for the applicant’s principal place of residence.

How to apply for a Medical Heating and Cooling Concession

Medical Heating and Cooling line - 1300 735 350


How to apply for a concession

If you think you’re eligible, you must apply directly to the Department of Human Services. Their contact details are:

Concessions SA Hotline 1800 307 758,
or if you have a hearing or speech impairment, use the Department of Human Services text telephone service on TTS 08 8226 6789



Switching to Alinta Energy with an energy concession?

Transferring your concession details to Alinta Energy takes just phone call. Simply call the Department of Human Services Concessions SA Hotline on 1800 307 758 (free call).

You will need to tell them about your new Alinta Energy electricity reference number and the period of your first electricity account from us that it will cover. Please wait until you receive your first account before calling, as the Department of Human Services will need details from it.

Energy concession for asylum seekers


If you are a verified asylum seeker and your principal place of residence is in South Australia, you can apply for an energy concession through your Status Resolution Support Service (SRSS) if you:

  • are receiving case management and/or support from an organisation contracted by the Department of Home Affairs to provide services under the SRSS program
  • meet low income requirements
  • hold an energy account in your name for your principal place of residence
  • are not living with anyone who earns more than $3,000 per year.

How to apply

Contact your SRSS provider to apply.

Cost of Living concession

The Cost of Living Concession is payable as a maximum amount per household, and can only be made to one person per household.

You may be eligible if:

  • you live at the property
  • on 1 July of the relevant financial year, you either:
    • hold an eligible card
    • receive an eligible Centrelink payment
    • meet low income provisions.

The concession amount is indexed each financial year. For the 2020-21 financial year, the concession amount per eligible household is:

  • homeowner-occupiers: $215.10
  • homeowner-occupiers who are self-funded retirees with a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card: $107.60
  • tenants: $107.60
  • JobSeeker Payment homeowner-occupiers: $715.10
  • JobSeeker Payment tenants: $607.60

For further details on applying and eligibility visit: