We’re here to support our customers through any severe weather events or natural disasters that occur across Australia. If you have been affected by the recent floods, please call us on 13 37 02 or email email@example.com to discuss the options available to you.
For anyone who relies on life support please ensure you have an emergency action plan in place to ensure your supply isn’t interrupted during any extended outages and emergencies and take the following into consideration:
- Develop an emergency contact list and keep it on hand. It could include the names, addresses and phone numbers of your doctor, the nearest hospital, a neighbour or other support services. Also include the emergency contact number for Alinta Energy which will automatically connect you to your electricity and gas distributors if necessary.
- Contact your doctor or life support equipment owner to discuss your options if there is a loss of energy supply.
Loss of Electricity-specific back-up plan options
- Periodically check the back-up battery of your life support equipment so you know that it's capable of performing during an outage.
Emergency Contact details
To report an electricity or gas fault or emergency, call us on 13 37 02
and select option 1 (24 hours, 7 days).
For power or gas outages, contact your local distributor who can provide further information about resumption of service.
If you require further assistance please don’t hesitate to contact our dedicated life support team on 1300 721 092.
For recent emergency updates and relevant storm safety information, please visit your state’s SES website. For NSW customers, visit www.ses.nsw.gov.au and for QLD customers, visit www.ses.qld.gov.au.
When a flood warning is issued:
- Know the location of your main switch and meter box and switch off electricity to non-essential circuits before they are submerged in rising floodwaters
- Move electric pump motors ad portable appliances to an area above the estimates flood height
- Listen to the local news and follow your local authorities on social media so you’re across any updates relevant to your local area
- Always follow instructions and directions from local authorities and be ready to evacuate if necessary. Ensure your mobile is charged and check you have a torch, spare batteries, and portable radio in good working order.
If you’re asked to evacuate:
- Switch off all appliances and cut off all electricity to the household by opening the main switch or removing switch fuses at the main switchboard or meter box. Do this even if you’ve been advised that all power has been cut off to your area
- Turn off gas at the mains and secure any gas bottles
- Pack an evacuation kit with your mobile phone, charges, important phone numbers, medicine, and essential supplies including a torch and spare batteries
- Treat all powerlines as alive and dangerous. Keep well clear and avoid contact with wires which are handing low or on the ground, dangling in flood water or tangled in trees.
When returning to your home:
- Take extra care around your main switchboard. If you’re unsure about your switchboard's safety, steer clear and call your licensed electrical contractor.
- Your distributor will inspect your main switchboard and meters before the power is restored
- Have a licensed electrician check your household’s circuitry and appliances before turning them on after a flood
- In the interim
- Do not use electrical appliances which have been in flood waters
- Do no handle any wet electrical equipment
For safety reasons, electricity and gas supplies are often disconnected during bushfires. Contact your local distributor to receive updates on any disconnections in your area.
Please ensure that your household’s energy supply components and any appliances affected by bushfires are checked by licensed electricians or gas fitters prior to your energy supply being turned on again.
Once again, we’d like to remind all our customers that we’re here to support you. For anyone affected by a natural disaster, please get in touch and we’ll look to provide immediate assistance. To discuss the options available to you, call 13 37 02. We’re available Monday to Friday from 8am to 9pm and Saturdays from 9am to 6pm (AEST) or email firstname.lastname@example.org