Alinta Energy has become aware of an increase in potential scams targeting current and recently switched customers.
To assist you in making sure you are protected, we want you to feel safe in knowing the facts when it comes to sharing your personal and banking information with Alinta Energy. Remember:
- Alinta Energy will never contact you and ask for your bill to be paid over the phone or by using third party gift cards.
- You can securely pay your bill by phone using our automated bill payment system which can be accessed by calling 13 37 02, or by visiting alintaenergy.com.au/paymybill
- Alinta Energy is not currently actively marketing or offering additional Direct Debit incentives, or total bill credits with its products.
- Alinta Energy will never call you directly to advise you that our rates are changing. These notices will be sent to you in writing either by email or by letter.
- Unless your property has a smart meter (that sends your usage information to us wirelessly, removing the need for onsite meter reads), your meter will at times be read by a distributor technician (they own the poles and wires). When the distributor technician does an in-person meter read, they will need to have a form of valid ID from their distributor on their person. If you are unsure, request to see their ID and trust that over any personal details they might show you as proof instead.
- You should not trust any phone call that does not display caller ID. Calls made by or on behalf of Alinta Energy will always display the agent’s phone number.
- You should only update your account information using My Account or with an authorised Alinta Energy Customer Care representative, whereby you have initiated the call and the phone number you dialled came from a trusted source, such as our website, your bill or our marketing materials.
- We will always provide a customer reference number to you over the phone that can be used to reference your account details via our billing system at a later date.
What should you do if you think you have been targeted?
If you think you may have provided a third party with your credit card or bank account details over the phone as part of this, or any other suspected Alinta Energy scam, please contact your bank or financial institution immediately. You should also report the scam via the Federal Government's Scam Watch website at www.scamwatch.gov.au.
Please contact your local police if you believe you may be the victim of fraud.
The Alinta Energy team